The Department of Learning offers an integrated leadership development model with matriculation of all 4 programs designed as a systematic approach to keeping the talent pipeline filled with an element of succession planning.
What is BHLU all about?
Leadership development benefits the employees and the Broward Health system. It aligns individual and organizational goals, resulting in a culture firmly rooted in and reflective of our vision, mission, core values, and our quest of becoming world class.
Mission, Vision, Strategy, Pillars and Core Values
- BHLU aligned with organizational culture
- Talent Review Process
- Regional talent review committee selects BHLU students
- Leadership Development
- 4 Leadership development programs for matriculation into a pipeline for talent
- Internal talent pool possessing high potential for promotion, growth and development
Who may apply
To be eligible for admission into one of the Leadership University programs, you must have:
- Successful completion of one year of employment (exceptions case-by-case)
- No corrective actions within six months
- Satisfactory performance appraisal scores
- Succession Planning Component (promotability)
- 2 management levels signed approval
How to apply for Broward Health Leadership University
- Complete the BHLU Application
- Submit a current resume of professional experience along with a statement of purpose: a one-page essay describing your professional aspirations and reasons for pursuing the certification.
- Submit two (2) professional letters of recommendation
- Forward resume and letters of recommendation to Amy Dunn for submission to the “Talent Review Committee” for acceptance in the program.
What BHLU Graduates Say
As a working mom in the healthcare industry for over 15 years, BHLU introduced me to career-reviving concepts and tactics that I employ daily.
BHLU is one of the few investments that yields return right away and immensely contributed to my recent promotion. Anyone interested in getting a leg up in their given healthcare discipline should look into BHLU.
I'm glad I did.
-- Vania Vazquez
BHLU was an amazing learning experience. The tools, fundamentals, and mentoring were invaluable to me and have brought me to a wonderful position within Broward Health. You see, I started my career with Broward Health in 2002 as a cashier at BHIP. From there I moved into a collections position. Since Broward Health University, I have been promoted to the position of Director of Physician Services at BHN. Every day I make a difference in the lives of our physician customers. It is challenging, but it is also rewarding to see my work bringing improvement to the lives I touch.
BHLU was reflective, intensive, and interactive. It gave me additional confidence to take on more responsibility. BHLU was an invaluable experience for me and I am truly grateful for the opportunity to participate.
Broward Health Leadership University (BHLU) teaches the fundamental principles of leadership and helps individuals apply these principles to real life situations. BHLU is entertaining and practical. The instructors in the BHLU program are dynamic and passionate about ensuring each individual is successful. BHLU is more than just great leadership training it is a family. Throughout the BHLU experience you have the opportunity to network with leaders across Broward Health serving a wide variety of departments. More than a year later the relationships I was able to build in BHLU are thriving and my support system is stronger because of it. I would recommend BHLU to both the new and seasoned leader. It truly was a remarkable experience.
-- Katy Lacknauth, Pharm.D.